Monday, November 22, 2010

iPhone 4 Apps Not Opening (Closing Straight Away)

I recently moved to an iPhone 4, which I have run into an issue where none of my Apps would open. when I select an App from the home screen, the App would appear to open for a split second before closing and returning to the home screen.

This started happening when I made a series of purchases from the App Store (via the iPhone) resulting in a download queue for each one. One of the Apps was quite large in size, which seemed to get caught during the loading process. It was 'loading' for almost an entire day before i decided to turn it off and back on again. Once it was turned back on, the App that was previously loading was now 'waiting', and the progress bar at 0%. The name of the App was not displayed, and the icon had turned grey (no icon).

I tried syncing the iPhone. This appeared to work, but close to the end of the sync when the apps were being updated, an error message appeared stating that a file could not be found and the sync failed. I tried again, and this time it suggested that the device had an internal error, an again the sync failed. After the second time, the available space jumped from over 15gb free to being 12GB over.

At this point, I decided to see if the phone and apps were still working, or if it was iTunes that was playing up and noticed that none of the installed Apps would open at all. The core applications (mail, iPod, Safari, etc. were all still working). When I selected an app from the home screen, it would start opening, but immediately close and return to the home screen.

From iTunes, I restored a backup from a few hours prior when the phone and apps were working. This resulted in the recently purchased apps to be removed from the phone, and the available space returned to a positive amount. All apps were still not working.

I updated the sync options to re-install the recently downloaded apps and tried another sync. Again, it failed with the same messages as before and the available space was way over. The partially installed app that seemed to cause the problems initially was no longer visible on the phone, and iTunes also detected that it was an pending download. From my iPhone, I then removed the majority of the apps, but this still didn't allow the remaining to open. Turning the phone off and back on didn't help either.

After reading through some similar issues that others were having, I tried downloading a new app via the App Store on the iPhone, which worked. All other apps remaining on the phone were also working again now, but the partially downloaded app had returned.

I did another sync from iTunes to copy all applications back onto the phone, which continued to work after that. I abandoned using the app that i suspect was the cause of the issues. It was over 200mb in size, with gb of additional "Other" data, so the phone didn't like it for some reason even though there should have been ample space available.

Related:

21 comments:

  1. I had the same problem but it happened to me when i synced my phone to my computer. i downloaded an app just like you said and boom! back in business.
    thanks for taking the time to write all this out
    nathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel. I wanted to thank you for spending time to write all this. It was really useful. The same thing happened to my iPhone, and I just did what you have suggested (buy a new App). After that, everything just went back to normal. Million thanks :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good boy - you just saved me a call to the devil's own network carrier.
    Just downloaded a free app and I'm back in business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Updated an app and everything's working now. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Installing a new app really resolved my problem as well .... Thanks a ton for the solution.... Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worked for my iPhone 4s! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot this helps me too much for iphone4 problem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks buddy....it really did work ..downloaded an app and back in business
    Thanx again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much! I was freaking out and it was frustrating me! But, what you said worked! Thanks for taking the time out to inform everyone else! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot dear u solved my issues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not working for me.in my iphone 4,i installed whatsapp,after the installation,all other applications and whatsapp also not opening.just blinking and going.i need help.if any solution, plssss...ios version4.3.3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jithesh.. Same problem here.. You got any solution?

      I'm searching for it now, i'll mail you if i get soln... Please do the same if you find first

      Delete
    2. can you pls type the problem out here

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. all my apps on iphone4 are not wrking. its opening blnking and jus cumin bac to the home screen . pls do let me know wat i hav to do

      Delete
  12. What the hell is this?? Why should we download an application all the time to make other applications work?? Apple Sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great suggessions.... now it works after following your steps to download a new app.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so helpful. It works. Thanks for sharing your idea. I like it. en ucuz iphone 5

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its not working in my Iphone 4, please give me other suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  16. call me............ +8801682026371 i face a prob on i phone

    ReplyDelete